Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Doppelganger

I had entered to ride The Dual on last Saturday, but full of apathy,I deputised the redoubtable Jimmy to impersonate me.
This was a stroke of genius on my part, as I did not feel the slightest pang of discomfort when Jimmy underwent a veritable calvary of by cramp 10kms from the finish.

Not to be totally indolent, I got out on the fixie both days of the weekend.
Saturday I headed into Auckland, catching Carl Dickinson on his immaculate 80s Pinarello in St Heliers, then tagging along with Bob Tuxford and Calvin Bartley from Herne Bay to Mt Eden.
Sunday morning, I headed South expecting a less sociable ride, but found Murray Grace, looking dangerously fit, a couple of clicks from Kingseat.

3 comments:

Antoine said...

I wondered how I beat you. There were cramped-up riders groveling all over the trail in that last 10km. Very tempting to ride right over them on the Pugsley but I behaved myself.

David Benson said...

If you had passed me while I was in as bad a state as Jimmy, I would have thrown myself under your wheels.
Doing NZSSC this year?

Antoine said...

I used up my annual racing budget on the DUAL so I can't go this year. A shame as I'm fitter than I was last year and it was a ton of fun.

Hey, changing the subject, I'm thinking of getting a Campag Centaur Compact Double for the Cross-Check. They use the Record outboard bearing set-up. Have you heard any bad reports about them?
I'm new to outboard bearings and the only thing that makes me uneasy is The Campag bearing is a different size (apparently) to the Shimano/Sram/etc system so I'm hoping the replacements won't cost an arm and a leg. (and I can't upgrade to a Chris King later).

It's either that or the top of the range Sugino from Velo Orange which is an old-school square taper.

I like the alloy Sram Rival as well but it seems a bit expensive compared to the alloy Centaur.